The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: When was the first time you visited Avebury?
30 messages
Select a forum:
As the bus turned off the A4 up a small lane, I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw - what was that? A standing stone? 2? WHOA!!!

Excellent account Goff!

The last bit reminds me of the time I took a Chinese painter and a Greek friend to Avebury. We were off to Clyffe Pypard actually but, without saying anything, I drove first to Avebury. It was dusk, and as we went past the Diamond stone my Greek friend gave out a yell of 'what was that!'. I just casually replied with a, 'there's few more of 'em up ahead' ;-)

What I really wanted to show them was Silbury, so we drove through the Henge and parked in the lay-by opposite the big NT carpark. They hadn't noticed Silbury on our left, so I asked them to get out of the car as there was something I wanted to show them.

Silbury did her loveliest in the last of the summer light. And as we stood there looking across the fields I said to them, "That's Silbury, older than the Great Wall of China, older than the Parthenon, about as old as the pyramids, and until modern times the largest manmade structure in Europe."

They were strangely quiet ;-)

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
12th August 2009ce
18:33

Messages in this topic: