The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: When was the first time you visited Avebury?
30 messages
Select a forum:
I simply can't remember when my first trip to Avebury was.

I remember visiting Stonehenge in about 1970 when I was little girl and we stopped off to walk up to the stones (you could then) on the way back from a family holiday in Cornwall. We may have called in Avebury on that same day but it's nearly 40 years ago now...

I started visiting Avebury regularly once I'd moved to Oxford in 1985 and I'd got a car. When my daughter and son were babies and growing up in the early 90s, we'd go for picnics a couple of times a summer, and frog-march the sprogs round the sites.

I remember having a picnic with treaclechops and Rupe, then aged about 4, at WKLB. Rupe, having lost interest in his sandwich, toddled off on his own to investigate what was inside. He ran back out screaming and crying: "there's a monster inside!" and no amount of persuasion would get him to go back in. Turns out some drunken crusty had gone to sleep in a dark corner in one of the chambers and was snoring loudly. Rupe still enters WKLB in fear...

Reply | with quote
Jane
Posted by Jane
12th August 2009ce
17:31

Messages in this topic: