The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: When was the first time you visited Avebury?
30 messages
Select a forum:
My first ever visit to Avebury - and countless subsequent ones - were actually visits THROUGH Avebury!

Working, as I did at the start of the 90s, in a small village not far from Swindon, I used to get the bus from Southampton, via Salisbury, twice a week.

I remember the first time I ever got that bus, marveling at the glorious countryside and twee little villages it passed through, along with the not-so-twee MOD stuff and eventually to Swindon itself.

As the bus turned off the A4 up a small lane, I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw - what was that? A standing stone? 2? WHOA!!! I'd never seen anything like it in my life! The bus skirted along The Avenue, and I was mesmerised! I wanted to take in EVERY single stone as we passed... I couldn't take my eyes off them!

Then came the enormous bank, and then - WOW! Didya see the size of them stones??? My god!!! How I wanted to just get off that bus there and then and stay, wondering around the stones, forever!

But I had to get to work. :(

Every week, and every bus journey was the same. No time to stop off and have a wander around. The suspense was killing me! I didn't drive at the time, nor did many people I knew. So for nearly 2 years all I had were my magnificent - albeit brief - glances as the bus trundled through and on to Swindon.

It was some years until I passed my driving test (I was a late starter!), and it was soon after that I decided I simply *must* go and explore this wonderful and magical site.

I'd met Mrs G the same year as passing my test so we visited together, and fell in love with the place. It was the start of a great adventure which has taken us all over the UK in search of ancient stones...

The first time I'd ever met anyone from TMA was at Avebury, for our first ever Heritage Action meeting. A day I remember fondly (even though I was extremely nervous - I'd never met anyone off t'internet before!) as it was the start of some very strong and lasting friendships...

Before Avebury, the only first-hand experience I'd had of a stone circle was seeing Stonehenge from the window of a coach on the way back from a school trip in the early 80s. Someone pointed out the window and I peered out at exactly the moment Concorde was flying above it! Which was nice.

Every time we go to Avebury it seems to expand in size as we discover more aspects to the site, and indeed to the whole of the area. There's still tons of stuff we've not seen, but it's that which encourages us to come back so often.

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
12th August 2009ce
11:32

Messages in this topic: