The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: When was the first time you visited Avebury?
30 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
...and what were your first impressions?

My first visit to Avebury was in the early 1990s on a ‘Pagan’s Day Out’ from London organised by Skoob Books. There were a few spare seats and my dearest friend a man called Chris, who worked for Skoob, asked me if I’d like to go along. Our first port of call was Wayland’s Smithy … the quiet walk along the Ridgeway planted the first seed of my now great love for that ancient track-way. This always atmospheric place was the one that made the deepest impression on that day.

Onto Avebury, and then WKLB … almost got run over on the A4 as thought it was a quiet country road. On the way back to London the driver was persuaded to do a detour stop at Stonehenge, so that was my first glimpse of Stonehenge too.

It was just a pleasant day out from London; I had no idea at that time that I would leave London and be living just a few miles away from Avebury; or how much Avebury would become synonymous with some of life’s more recent memorable events … but that’s another chapter.

june

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
10th August 2009ce
18:09

Messages in this topic: