The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: When was the first time you visited Avebury?
30 messages
Select a forum:
My older brother had bought tickets to watch Swindon Town vs Preston NE probably about 1971 at a guess.
We had boarded the coach in Chippenham on a cold, wet and wintery afternoon. I sat staring out of the window watching the gloom go passed not really taking much notice as the coach bounce along the road. After a while I remember people mumbling about stones and raising themselves off their seats to get a better look.
I stare deeply into murk and could see a row of large stones going off into the distance. Then without warning a huge stone seemed to almost jump in through the window. I threw myself back startled at the unexpected sight and then they all disappeared into the dark.
The stone in question was of course the ‘Swindon’ stone and even though I never liked the football I was always interested in finding out what I saw through the window that day.
It would be another 9 years later when I was studying archaeology at college before I would see Avebury again. I loved it so much I used to cycle there regularly from Chippenham.
Although it has lost its charm when the hoards of tourists visit, on a quiet and early summers morning or misty autumn day it still draws me in.

Scubi

Reply | with quote
scubi63
Posted by scubi63
8th August 2009ce
22:02

Messages in this topic: