The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   County Meath Forum Start a topic | Search
County Meath
Re: Mysterious new monuments being built in Ireland
22 messages
Select a forum:
Derek,

I can't believe you're suggesting these are photoshopped. I'm absolutely disgusted. I thought I had a bit more credibility than that. Seriously.

The only Photoshopping was a bit of brightening and a bit of sharpening. I had the ISO a bit low so the shutter speeds weren't quite fast enough. How someone could "Photoshop" those images into existence beats me. If I could do that, I'd be making a fortune.

Ken,

No grid reference I'm afraid, only a rough guide to their location.

These were taken in Summer 2006 while I was getting photos of Tara and Slane and Site Q for Island of the Setting Sun. These structures are located somewhere between Tara and Slane. We were on our way back from Tara and spotted these off to the right (east). As far as I can remember they were closer to Tara than to Slane. I can't see them in the high-res imagery on Google Earth, but that imagery could have been taken before 2006.

I'm not sure whether these structures are still there (haven't been over that area in a plane since then) but I remember some of the photos were published in the Drogheda Leader that year and some guy claiming to be responsible for them rang in and told a journalist that he had been trying to keep them secret from the public. He seems to have done a good job. These things are huge, and occupy three or four adjacent fields. Note that each of the fields seems to be lined with trees, so that might have helped keep them hidden. He never left a name or number so I never got speaking to him.

I've wondered what they're all about. Why would someone go to so much time, expense and bother to create what look like huge monuments for their own gratification?

Reply | with quote
Posted by mythicalireland
2nd August 2009ce
21:07

Messages in this topic: