The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Which site for a cumbrian virgin. ?
34 messages
Select a forum:
Hi MD

I was up there last month at the Nothern Megameet and had a great time.

Sunkenkirk was my personal favourite as it seemed so remote and wild. I also got to Castlerigg at 6:30 in the morning to witness the sun rising over the moutains and the valley below filled with mist - a photgraphic dream.
Of course you should visit Long Meg and also Little Meg just for the rock art (my first RA experience). The same goes for Copt Howe but the rock art needs to be seen with the sun edge on to bring it out best. I think that was about mid dayish when we went there and the views were fantastic.
Moor Divock was a great little walk with plenty too see including The Cockpit Stone Circle and various ring cairns and standing stones. Mayburgh (think that is how you spell it) Henge was striking with it huge banks and solitary standing stonein the centre.
Other great sites I enjoyed were Gamelands and Druids Stone Circle as well as the one by Sellerfield which name escapes me. Plus countless other circles, standing stones and rows that I have forgotten but I am sure others will remind me of.

The weather can change from warm and sunny to driving rain at the drop of a hat but only adds to the atmosphere of this part of the world.

Hopefully I will finish my blog (on page 5 now) which will tell of my adventures there!!

Go forth and enjoy.

Scubi

Reply | with quote
scubi63
Posted by scubi63
14th July 2009ce
02:22

In reply to:

Which site for a cumbrian virgin. ? (megadread)

Messages in this topic: