The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Re: Photographing Callanish
13 messages
Select a forum:
As juamei says, the best times to aim for are late evenings or early mornings - fewer folk about (none at all if you're really lucky) and the best lighting.

A lot also depends on what time of year you're going to be there. I'm fortunate in that my friend lives on the island, and I go up to see her half a dozen times or so a year. When I was up in March, there were very few people about, and most of them seemed content to have a quick once around the stones, take a photo or two, then clear off. When I was last up at the end of May, the coach parties and campervans had started arriving - once again, most of them didn't seem to stop for more than a few minutes, but there was a pretty endless procession of folks coming and going.

One other thing - if you do happen to drop lucky with the weather and the lighting, don't be surprised to find yourself competing with the island's professional photographers!!! We raced up there one day last year when it snowed (my friend only lives about six miles away), only to find the chap with the gallery at Bru was already there, with his tripod set up in Position A, waiting (and waiting... and waiting... ) for the perfect lighting, so we had to shoot around him or otherwise find ways to keep him out of shot. Suppose we could always have Photoshopped him out afterwards... ;-)

Finally, don't forget to make the most of the other sites. My personal favourite is Cnoc Fillibher Bheag, and I tend to spend more time and take more photographs there than at the "main" site.

Good luck, and if you happen to be there during the first couple of weeks in August, I'll do my best to keep out of your way!!! :-)

Reply | with quote
1speed
Posted by 1speed
18th June 2009ce
15:41

In reply to:

Photographing Callanish (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: