The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Shetland Isles Forum Start a topic | Search
The Shetland Isles
Re: Shetland Islands
7 messages
Select a forum:
ToneStone wrote:
brilliant !! just what i was after

Planning a Shetlands trip but was wary as id not found any lit on the place or much pictorial evidence

Thanks

Although this is my first comment, I am interested in this thread as I too have planned a trip to northern Scotland, Orkney and Shetland in June. It is Orkney that I am really looking forward to seeing though the trip includes a two days on the Shetlands. I'm not sure how much I will get to see in two days but will take photos and submit them if they are acceptable.

I've just watched a repeat TV programme about Iron Age Brochs which was totally fascinating, it included the excavation work at Skatness and information about the copper trading which is likely to have taken place with Cornwall (in exchange for tin). It was a timely reminder that in the days when there were not many roads, the seas were the highways and the Shetlands would not have been seen as the remote off-shore islands they are today.

I found this blog site which looks really good.

https://communities.uhi.ac.uk/weblog/everyone/commented

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
25th May 2009ce
20:06

In reply to:

Re: Shetland Islands (ToneStone)

Messages in this topic: