The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coate Stone Circle Forum Start a topic | Search
Coate Stone Circle
Re: Coate Stone Circle
9 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:
Cheers for flagging this up, LS - that's some nifty detective work going on with that article!

Great find!

I just can't get over how easily the developers get away with killing off our heritage... Those greedy fuckers really get my goat! :(

G x

Yes I agree, it pulls together two of the essential arguments for conserving the site; the ancient stone circle which still remains in part although quite a small one, and probably even more importantly the land's association with writer Richard Jefferies - this is where he walked and mused and later recorded his thoughts in his unique and much loved book 'Story of My Heart'.

The developers and the conservative councillors who support them have been guilty of all sorts of underhand behaviour: bribing the University of the West of England to pursue the site by offering it to them for £1 (after Bath University pulled out). Intimidating the Save Coate lobby at the recent Enquiry by bringing in a London barrister at £1000 per hour and then using the local newspaper's website to wage an online campaign of ridicule aimed at individual supporters of the Save Coate Campaign.

I understand the findings of the Enquiry are about to be submitted to Hazel Blears - who had an article written about her in Saturday's Independent Magazine .... called Labour's Secret Weapon. I'm watching with great interest but not a lot of faith.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th March 2009ce
08:20

In reply to:

Re: Coate Stone Circle (goffik)

Messages in this topic: