The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Creswell Crags Forum Start a topic | Search
Creswell Crags
Re: a book
7 messages
Select a forum:
The tour info from the website says this-

Site Tours

Ice Age Tours

February - October: Every weekend and daily during most school holidays.
November - January: Sundays only.
Discover what Creswell Crags was like during the last Ice Age on a tour of Robin Hood Cave, the largest cave on site. Find out who was here, what was here, why they were here and how we know.
Booking recommended.
Tour charges: Adult £4.75, Concession £4.25, Child £3.00, Family offer - £2.00 off the price of an adult ticket when accompanied by 2 or more children.

Rock Art Tours

March - September: Every day that Ice Age Tours run.
Your chance to see the only known Ice Age rock art in Britain. The tour will start with a brief talk about the art and the site and then you will be taken to Church Hole Cave, home of the world famous art.
Booking essential.
Tour charges: Adult £6.00, Concession £5.50, Child £3.00, Family offer - £2.00 off the price of an adult ticket when accompanied by 2 or more children.

-----------------------

It's well worth a visit, read baza's fieldnotes - they're spot on in summing up the feeling of seeing the carvings close up. My favourite was a small bison-like figure that's just a couple of inches above you but really difficult to photograph, the bird is amazing too and a bit easier to capture. You find yourself staring at them in an open mouthed gurning chump kind of way.
Last time I was there was about a year and a half ago and the on-site sewage farm (I kid you not) was gone and the main road through the site had been dug up and replaced with a track, they've been spending a lot of money to try and get some kind of international status recognition I think.

-Chris

Reply | with quote
Chris Collyer
Posted by Chris Collyer
21st March 2009ce
11:00

In reply to:

a book (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic:

a book (Rhiannon, Mar 21, 2009, 09:37)
    • Re: a book (Chris Collyer, Mar 21, 2009, 11:00)
    • Re: a book (Stoneshifter, Mar 22, 2009, 06:23)
    • Re: a book (juamei, Mar 22, 2009, 18:39)