The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hagar Qim Forum Start a topic | Search
Hagar Qim
Re: Maltese temples
25 messages
Select a forum:
I'm pleased to see that my pics have sparked some consideration as to what's happening to the temples on Malta now.

Latest news is that the weather has not yet been fine enough to get the first canopy up, at Mnajdra, so sals will probably encounter the same situation as I did. I.e., entry to some of the Hagar Qim temples site is allowed but Mnajdra will be closed.

The new visitors' centre for the two sites is under construction next to the car park and this has created much local criticism.

There are further plans for shelters and visitors' centres at Tarxien and Ggantija. The latter has a fairly recently completed small, 'interim' visitors reception building.

fitzcoraldo wrote:

I believe there is also a plan to cover/enshroud Tarxien, Did you hear anything of this? In a strange way, I think that covering may act to improve the ambience at that particular temple.

You've caused me to think about the situation at Tarxien and, yes, you could well be correct with regard to the covering of these temples to protect them. They are already enclosed within walls in a built up area so they are already denied their open position within the landscape. The scaffolding and protective cover over the animal carvings will be removed.

I was frustrated at all of the paid sites because at every one there are areas roped off which I'd liked to have entered.

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
15th January 2009ce
21:12

In reply to:

Maltese temples (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: