The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Newgrange Forum Start a topic | Search
Newgrange
Re: Newgrange solstice to be broadcast live on web
8 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
I have a hangover to get rid of sunday and a soccer match to play so will probably be keeping a low profile.
Where you thinking of heading?

Depends on the wind :-)

Defo up to Shrough and Moanour Mountain. Don't think I'll attempt Temple Hill. I'll probably pop back to Gortavoher and check out the second bullaun while I'm there.

I beleive there's a talk on at Glenstal Abbey Library on Sunday starting at 4pm: The Mystique of Christmas and the Winter Solstice . I might pop in to that as entry's free

Shrough and Moanaur are a decent walk. Skirt the tree plantation along the left side, dont be tempted to walk through the forest, the tracks marked on the map arent there. I got lost in there one day recently and had to back track a lot.
I wouldnt recommend Temple Hill, its a really really serious climb. Id barely recommend doing it in the middle of summer. You will need as much light as you can get in case something goes wrong.
I cant remember if the second bullaun is there. There is something about it in The Dolmens of Tipperary on pg 60.
Id maybe recommend Cnoc Aine, its not too far away from that area.

Bawn

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
19th December 2008ce
14:56

Messages in this topic: