The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury
13 messages
Select a forum:
Moth wrote:
Spaceship mark wrote:
There is a theory that they knocked the GMB down to build a passage grave, but even by then they'd forgotten how to move such massive stones...

Hmmmm. I've heard the first bit of that. It's based on the fact that capstones at 2 seperate tombs seem from engravings on them to be 2 parts of the same engraved stone that's been broken (if I remember rightly?)

I've not heard the last bit before tho, or are you kidding?

love

Moth

Excavation at GMB identified sockets for an alignment of 18 stones .The waste material from their destruction could have been re-used in nearby passage graves e.g. Table des Marchands .(capstone and two orthostaas in that case ) .L'Helgouac'h reckons that the destruction of GMB was contemperaneous with the construction of TdM . Among the re-used were capstone at Mane Rutual , passage orthosats at TdM and Gavrinis , all carved .Other uncarved bits were found Kercado , Mane Lud and Petit Mont 3 .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
21st November 2008ce
08:54

In reply to:

Re: Avebury (Moth)

1 reply:

Re: Avebury (Moth)

Messages in this topic: