The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Early Ireland
13 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:
There were two paleolithic finds in Ireland before this one, one was the worked piece found in a quarry at Mell in Drogheda, just up the road from where I lived. It's thought this was carried by glacier and deposited there.

The second axe is a bit bizarre, it was found stuck in a wall at the iron age fort at Dun Aonghusa, some think it was a prank or just very fortuitous! It's presence there is pretty suspect and not thought to add any weight to paleolithic habitation. I think this is the one on display in the museum.

The one from the quarry was from a gravel deposit and so the argument that it came from a glacier is very valid. How far it could have travelled is a question no one seems to want to answer.

Personally I have no problem with paleolithic activity in Ireland. I have more of a problem with there being none to be honest. Ireland was much more heavily glaciated than most of England with only a bit of Wexford escaping. It is said that the Mourne Mountains were once as high as Everest. If they can be worn down to comparative pimples then there's no hope of any traces of human activity surviving from before the ice ages.

There's a cave in Derry (I think) that has some very interesting scratches on the walls. There's a lot of more modern stuff in there, too, but some of them seem a lot older. (Note to self: climb up to the bugger one day and take a peak!)

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
17th November 2008ce
17:48

In reply to:

Re: Early Ireland (CianMcLiam)

1 reply:

Re: Early Ireland (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: