The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Coorleigh South Forum Start a topic | Search
Coorleigh South
Re: Is this art?
25 messages
Select a forum:
Northwest orientation?

Before I went, judging from my friend's description, I was thinking perhaps the axial from an ASC. The three larger local sites each accompany a bay and the others mostly follow the Argideen river but its location wouldn't be too far off the mark. Then when I saw it, its positioning was wrong.

An RSC would never have hit me. It's possible. It would be amazing if it was - the missing link. The sceptic in me is fiddling with the idea of a fallen cupmarked standing stone being raised as an altar for outdoor mass. but why not leave it where it was, if that was the case? It would have served equally well.

Boulder-burial is a possibility, but the stone does seem too regular somehow. I'll put up a picture of the Gortnascarty site. I may not have the described the uprights well enough. They're set as a NE/SW pair.

Gordon

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
3rd November 2008ce
15:27

In reply to:

Re: Is this art? (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: