The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Yellowmead Multiple Stone Circle Forum Start a topic | Search
Yellowmead Multiple Stone Circle
Re: Yellowmead Stone Circle. Dartmoor
3 messages
Select a forum:
Lubin wrote:
I'm just back form a walk to Drizzlecombe and the circle and see that a trench has been cut across the two outer rings of the circle and another just beside where the row descends down hill from it. The turfs have been replaced over the trenches. The local farmer said people were digging there last week. Does anyone know who they might have been?
It would be very interesting to find out if it is a cairn or a circle.
I will make a few inquiries locally as well and post what I find , if anything.

Peace , Lubin

Hi Lubin,

We were out that way back earlier in the year, and a couple of folk were doing what looked like a form of ground penetrating radar.... very organised, and - IIRC - from a University or somesuch. Intrigued to find out more.

As far as the cairn/circle debate about this one, I've always thought that burying four rings of stones was a bit of overkill.... but the consensus is that this WAS a cairn. Restored by the Dartmoor Exploration Committee?

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
25th October 2008ce
22:52

Messages in this topic: