The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Beanley Plantation Settlement Forum Start a topic | Search
17 messages
Select a forum:
Ah, thanks for that. I'm new to this game so these are all good pointers for me.

I've been very impressed with both K2P and the Beckensall archive.

I love K2P for both the access to the old maps and the local histories but wish it would publish a KML file for google earth as the internal mapping on the site makes it a real hassle to locate nearby sites/info when research a new one.

The Beckensall archive is a real jewel, the level of detail etc is just brilliant.

I try to use both, combined with google earth scanning and google books searches for old sources when I'm looking at new places (ie not on TMA) to visit.

BTW, the enclosure north of Beanley plantation looks like it was only spotted recently as it's only on the latest map at K2P. At 45m or so across it's almost as big as the plantation site but looks like a single shallow ditch from the air so not defensive in any way.

I've put photos of the rock feature on the geologyrocks site and the feedback there is that it's probably natural, strange as it looks. Explaination is that a "lens" of weaker material (silt perhaps) could be laid down when the sand stone was formed and this could then errode away more quickly to leave the feature. I'm going to have a closer look when I'm next there though.

Mac

Reply | with quote
mascot
Posted by mascot
28th August 2008ce
08:19

In reply to:

Re: Calling Mascot (Hob)

Messages in this topic: