The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Shetland Isles Forum Start a topic | Search
The Shetland Isles
Re: Help with Identification Needed
12 messages
Select a forum:
Sorry about the cropping, but I daren't wander too far because its in the middle of a peat bog and I had only the one lens on me at the time. The cairn in the (western) distance was indeed ancient, as testified to by three members of the group, who walked the mile and a bit to it. There was another cairn, to the south, but that was placed there by hill walkers and was a modern construct.

The standing stones are real and were identified by our navigator as being on the OS map she was reading, hence our tour group's visit to the site. If I had contact details for her, I would get in touch, but I don't, so I can't.

From what I have been told by locals, Shetland is so overrun with archaeology that it is possible to get planning permission to build a garage over a prehistoric site, as one gentleman did.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Ancestral Celt
27th August 2008ce
00:39

Messages in this topic: