The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: ReDiscover Avebury
57 messages
Select a forum:
this isn't the best place to pick a fight ... but it's an excellent place to reconsider what we think we know about places we think we know ...

I've heard all this "oh, they've got better facilities now" talk before, and the "fuck the villagers and the trees" ... as groovy as the stones are, people should always come first. Imagine it was your Gran ...

I'm thinking this way because I'm reading about the 1994 Rwandan genocide ... one of the many terrible things about that was the surviving Tutsis being told by the international community that the had to forgive the Hutus and get on with their lives ...

now, if someone in a family is murdererd, the rest of them are pretty traumatised, often for a very long time. So why should the Tutsis be any different, just because the UN aid workers tell them so?

And why should the Avebury villagers be happy to witness the deliberate destruction of their community because a rich outsider has a "better" vision for their home?

just thoughts ...

RG

Reply | with quote
Posted by RiotGibbon
11th May 2002ce
10:42

In reply to:

Re: ReDiscover Avebury (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Local view (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: