The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: I put it to you ...
57 messages
Select a forum:
little more time now ... is it possible for anything *not* to be a continuation of tradition?

As Rhiannon is showing better than any of us is that these sites do not exist in a social vacuum, but affect and are affected by human interactions. It's a beautiful conceit to wander around Avebury circle and imagine yourself to be experiencing the past, then get back in your car and carry on as before, because that's what it is, a conceit.

What I would suggest that a considerable difference is ...

what is the point of the stones to us, and how does that differ to what the motivations were at different times? We don't know, but we can guess.

You're exactly right... it is a continuation and evolution of a tradition. Places where people gather have always attracted people to tend to the needs of the visitors, including the souvenier industry.

People living in the village, rightly or wrongly, had become a pretty strong tradition too, especially for them. How likely is it that the 1,000 BC population were aware of the 2000 BC, the 3000BC and the 4000BC. Did things move slower then?

Or maybe there is a masterplan

I don't know, why you asking me? All I know is that Avebury as it exists now is newer than my house ...

RG

Reply | with quote
Posted by RiotGibbon
10th May 2002ce
11:48

In reply to:

I put it to you ... (FourWinds)

2 replies:

Re: I put it to you ... (Squid Tempest)
Re: I put it to you ... (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: