The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wayland's Smithy Forum Start a topic | Search
Wayland's Smithy
Re: camping at weyland's smithy?
10 messages
Select a forum:
Jane wrote:
I'd say do it anyway, but if you leave so much as a trace of rubbish (that includes 'offerings', I'll send the boys round to break your legs. Seem fair?

Seems very fair to me, I'll get my baseball bat ready though. Having spent considerable time at Stanton Moor in the Peak District it does distress me to see the signs of people having camped there, within the area of the circles itself.

A site like the Nine Ladies is deceptive as many people don't realise that the circle is surrounded by other archeology, including other circles and cairns, a lot of which have never really been properly excavated. Lighting fires and especially leaving rubbish behind spoils it for other people and causes damage beyond repair.

I know you will, but please be sensible! Ask yourself that if you let people camp in your back yard, how would you want them to behave while there and how would you want them to leave it?

Reply | with quote
Posted by common era
12th June 2008ce
11:12

Messages in this topic: