The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Priddy Circles Forum Start a topic | Search
Priddy Circles
Re: Is Priddy SSSI at risk
6 messages
Select a forum:
that sounds truly foul.
Could there be a less sensible place to put such a thing, sandwiched between Priddy Caves and Priddy Pools SSSIs?
With the amount of nutrients (from dead animals, dog and horse poo etc) potentially going into the ground, getting into the groundwater - that would not be a good thing and it'd upset the structure of the ecological community (different plants favoured and so on). Goodbye sssi.
this would have the details if the website was working:
http://www.english-nature.org.[...]si_details.cfm?sssi_id=1000337

also, you'd be surprised by the amount of lead in the soil up there and how poisonous it actually is. I was up there (at Charterhouse) fairly recently and we were told to wear gloves to collect soil samples. I scoffed but my usually laissez-faire colleague put me right. (you're not even allowed in the area of the smelter, though admittedly that is super high. they used to get local orphans to clean it out - they didn't live very long, pretty gross).

also, I can't quite see why you need 60 foxhounds when you're not supposed to be hunting foxes with them. Perhaps the Mendip hunt will give themselves lead poisoning (or perhaps they've already got it, more like).

The 'how to help' page suggests you write to various people who are up to their necks in it, which is quite strange, as they're probably going to pop your complaint straight in the bin, aren't they? Is it not better to get directly involved in the planning process?
http://www.priddy-canine.org.uk/HowToHelp.html

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
16th April 2008ce
09:03

In reply to:

Re: Is Priddy SSSI at risk (priddy)

1 reply:

Re: Is Priddy SSSI at risk (priddy)

Messages in this topic: