The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Popping my Avebury Cherry!!
17 messages
Select a forum:
It had to happen, didn't it? About time too!

So, on the eve of my 40th birthday, I have finally got my arse into gear and we are heading off to Avebury on Thurs for a long weekend.

I was always faintly embarrassed by the fact I have never visited Avebury or Stonehenge but used the quite plausible excuse that it was easier to head to Scotland or Ireland from my neck o' the woods (we don't like going South, too much traffic on the M6...!) and that I have a wealth of prehistoric wonders on my doorstep (Cumbria)

However, the time has come to remedy this lapse and I spent last night pouring over maps n books and getting hysterical at the myriad of sites within a 5 mile radius of East Kennet, where we will be based.

So, I call upon you, my faithful TMAers, to point me in the right direction. We will have 3 days to see as much as possible and I wonder if anyone has a must-do, can't-miss, catch-all itinerary or should we just bumble along, map in hand and see what we come across?

Also, any tips on good places to eat, drink and make merry would be appreciated....afterall, Mark has to have something to look forward to, whilst tramping around after me all day!!

Cheers folks - get advising!!!

Vxxx

ps - this was my 2nd attempt - first post just disappeared so apologies if they both materialise.....

Reply | with quote
Vicster
Posted by Vicster
30th March 2008ce
15:18

Messages in this topic: