The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Thornborough Henges Forum Start a topic | Search
The Thornborough Henges
Re: Planning permission quashed, for how long?
9 messages
Select a forum:
Unfortunately, word has it that the council will waive this through at a meeting next month at Masham (April 22nd), without further public consultation.

I've asked the council for clarification, in particular regarding the petition, which now has around 15,000 signatures on it.

If you recall, the petition asks for no quarrying within a mile of the major monuments at Thornborough.

At the first planning application, the petition was drawn to the attention of the planning officers and was regarded as admissable by the planning officers.

At the second planning application, the petition was ruled innadmissable by the council officers, in a way that gave the impression that the issues raised by the petition had been dealt with by the new application, which they of course had not.

I have written to the council asking if the petition will be taken into account this time. If not then I think we have a serious cause to take issue with NYCC; the wording of the bpetition has not changed, the location of the quarry has not either and the voices of 15,000 voters has been ignored once, lets try and make sure it does not happen again.

In addition, it is clear that NYCC seem to have a general policy of ignoring petitions by its electors, since NYCC have refused to answer my question "what did you do with the petition?" and private conversations have made it clear that the elected council have no idea this petition exists.

Maybe its time we discovered exactly how democratic our council is?

As far as I can see, this last minute reprieve is our last chance to stop this quarry, and there may be some interesting new info that might help us. For example, the revised planning application said that no nationally important archaeology was contained within the redrafted area yet in the provisional archaeology work carried out earlier this year (in the most attrocious weather to perform such archaeology (guarranteed to minimise any finds)) they found several Neolithic pits and it is clear that the area of the Neolithic settlement extends further into the planned quarry than Tarmac and the council officers had said.

If a new planning decision has to be made, then surely this new information, together with all of the objections/petitions so far submitted need to be taken into account?

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
6th March 2008ce
14:47

Messages in this topic: