The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Duntryleague Forum Start a topic | Search
Duntryleague
Re: Duntryleague is in Co. Limerick
25 messages
Select a forum:
gjrk wrote:
The walk up nearly killed me. I could have just laid right on in there and joined whatever else was originally inside - I was under a bit of time pressure so I half ran up some of it and the stupid detour I made up past the cairn to the right wasn't helpful either.
What a spot though! The trees are growing back in bits and pieces but the view will be incredible for some time yet. Nor could I get enough of the wonderful texture and composition of the stones inside.
I suspect that it's too far north for an orientation to sun or even moon, and you could probably fit an unprovable star hypothesis to a lot of sites. I liked your mention of the old king though, and there may be some nibble of truth in that legend - a great leader up where he could see and be seen, even in death. The settlement may have been on the plains to the north?

Ya perhaps Gordon, there is a barrow cemetry just below it but I would say this is of a newer date than it. The trees growing back are a total pain, Ive sent a few friends that arent into stones to have a look at it and they all loved it so you would think they would leave a good gap around the tomb for the view.
I will have to head up some clear evening and see what kind of view of the stars you get from it. Ive asked Victor Rejis off of IrishStones about a possible moon alignment and it doesnt think it fits in.
The first few 100metres of a climb are always the worst dont let it put you off!

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
11th April 2008ce
08:26

Messages in this topic: