The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Duntryleague Forum Start a topic | Search
Duntryleague
Re: Duntryleague is in Co. Limerick
25 messages
Select a forum:
The walk up nearly killed me. I could have just laid right on in there and joined whatever else was originally inside - I was under a bit of time pressure so I half ran up some of it and the stupid detour I made up past the cairn to the right wasn't helpful either.
What a spot though! The trees are growing back in bits and pieces but the view will be incredible for some time yet. Nor could I get enough of the wonderful texture and composition of the stones inside.
I suspect that it's too far north for an orientation to sun or even moon, and you could probably fit an unprovable star hypothesis to a lot of sites. I liked your mention of the old king though, and there may be some nibble of truth in that legend - a great leader up where he could see and be seen, even in death. The settlement may have been on the plains to the north?

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
10th April 2008ce
13:33

Messages in this topic: