The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Achnabreck New 1 Forum Start a topic | Search
Achnabreck New 1
Re: New carvings found at Achnabreck
18 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
. How big is the main motif ? ,it looks a bit Castletonish .

Hi George, i never managed to get an accurate reading on size, but what reading i did work out, was it was on the 3ft mark, give or take. Although not a large number of rings, they are big, spread out in a Gledlaw style, the use of the cups within the outer rings which is similar to Ormaig, but perhaps more in a Townhead style. I did think the carvings from the main Achnabreck panels are of a different age to the new panel, older or younger, atleast different carvers, a link to other parts of the west coast of Scotland and Ireland seems highly likely. The carvings are indeed very faint, the weather was not too good, even when wet they were very faint, a little sunshine would have helped. The side flash was the best way to show the carvings off on this trip. On the main motif in certain flash shots you can see what looks like one motif possibly being carved over the other, interesting.

Reply | with quote
rockartwolf
Posted by rockartwolf
21st February 2008ce
20:21

Messages in this topic: