The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Re: 5 New Houses to be built on the Bond Garage Si
30 messages
Select a forum:
Yeah you're probably right there Jimit. (Personally I've given up on ever being able to buy a house and I don't care any more.)

It's interesting that in that article it says that Keiller moved the garage out of the circle.Plus he knocked down a load of houses within the circle. I mean the question is, is Avebury somewhere to live, or is it a museum. It's not like I want a high rise built there but it IS a village isn't it. In fact, that's part of its interest., surely?

Having lived a city that's a world heritage site - i think my main concern with new developments there was that they ought to be properly designed. Instead, what do we get but a nasty new Georgian pastiche of a shopping mall that in my eyes is actually worse than the 'genuinely' 70s buildings that were there before. So as long as they build something decent at Avebury and not (as you say) some tacky cloney houses.. that wouldn't be so bad.
Anyway. Controversial.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
15th January 2008ce
19:40

Messages in this topic: