The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Greenlee Lough Forum Start a topic | Search
Greenlee Lough
Re: Bullauniness asessment required
21 messages
Select a forum:
Cheers for the thoughts fellas.
FourWinds wrote:
If it was in Ireland it would definitely be classed as one.

Ooh I would like to think so. I've been wondering about the Greenlee basin since I first read of it, though I've not seen it myself. I was intrigued by Stan Beckensall's description of it being an 'enhanced' feature. He says that he thinks it was a bona fide cup mark that was enlarged during the late iron age. He doesn't go into detail about why he thinks that. Subsequently I've learned of these Bullaun Stones (Thank you for that Mr FW) it's since struck me that if bullauns do represent some kind of continuity of use from reeealy old (i.e. BA/neolithic cup marks), to fairly old (i.e. Iron age basins), to merely sort of old (i.e. Early medeival proto-fonts) ; that the insides of the Irish basins may have been smoothed by the action of those turning stones for longer than the ones over here due to the EA activity, which might be why the Greenlee basin is still a bit rough. There was rather a lot of roman activity in the immediate vicinity of Greenlee in the form of Hadrian's Wall, which may have put paid to any traditional basin activities.

The Greenlee Lough basin is also one of the few bits of RA that has any folklore attached to it, albeit only a shred in the name 'The Bloody Trough', which it shares with another lost basin on the top of the hill next to the alleged 'sacred' mountain of The Cheviot. The fact that Rockandy spotted modern offerings in the Greenlee basin makes me strangely pleased. I often get a bit snotty about people leaving offerings next to standing stones, but for some reason, stuff in a basin doesn't seem wrong.

Enough vague tenuous waffle from me on this. At some point this spring, I shall endeavour to go see Greenlee basin, then this summer get my carcass over the water to see some real bullauns so I can add fuel to the waffle-fire.

:)

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
7th January 2008ce
23:59

In reply to:

Re: Bullauniness asessment required (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: