The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Horse Clough Forum Start a topic | Search
Horse Clough
Re: New Peak District site....?
30 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks!

"It's where it is in the landscape...in a clough"

It's acutally above the clough, on a precipice between the 2 brooks, overlooking a steep drop into quite a dark and mysterious place... It would actually be on the horizon / skyline from further down the valley, especially if the tree cover was not there in the past. Not to say that it IS a site. I too have my doubts, as I would have thought the stone slabs should be more weathered than they appear to be. On the other hand, if the rest of the stone had been robbed in more recent times, the slabs would have lain unexposed for most of their life... I really dunno, that's why I asked.....

"and where it is on the map...well away from the Neolithic core area of the White Peak. The only 2 Neolithic burials I can think of not on the limestone are the oval cairns on Beeley Moor and Gardom's Edge...but they both overlook the White Peak. The fact that it's in a clough is another scary thing, especially being near a large town....cloughs are or were notorious places for casual stone grubbing....Edale was built from stone outta Kinder Scouts cloughs."

Horse Clough is very deep and difficult to get into and out of on foot, let alone laden with stone. Plus as Snap's map shows, and a walk in the area will show, there are many tors, rocky outcrops etc, in the vicinity that could be, and were, exploited with far greater ease than Horse Clough. As there is still tons of rock still around these places - and easy paths down - then I don't think this is a particular problem. Again, it still might not be a site.

The key fact is: someone put 2 large slabs parallel and on their edge on a striking promontary above Horse Clough. It is certainly 'man-made'.... This may be part of an old site, it might not, but even if it were done in fairly recent times, the Q remains, why....?

But there's things in its favour.....the cloughs of Ogden, Ramsley and William to the E and N were major Mesolithic routes and there are other sites close by.....a cairn at Cown Edge and the cup-marked stone at Chisworth.

I'll have a fester next time I'm up that way.

Cool. Let us know what you reckon. Cheers! Bruvs

Reply | with quote
Bruvs
Posted by Bruvs
10th December 2007ce
10:43

Messages in this topic: