The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Horse Clough Forum Start a topic | Search
Horse Clough
Re: New Peak District site....?
30 messages
Select a forum:
Hey up,

Going by the photo's and for what I know and what it's worth....I'm sadly not convinced.
It's where it is in the landscape...in a clough and where it is on the map...well away from the Neolithic core area of the White Peak. The only 2 Neolithic burials I can think of not on the limestone are the oval cairns on Beeley Moor and Gardom's Edge...but they both overlook the White Peak. The fact that it's in a clough is another scary thing, especially being near a large town....cloughs are or were notorious places for casual stone grubbing....Edale was built from stone outta Kinder Scouts cloughs.

But there's things in its favour.....the cloughs of Ogden, Ramsley and William to the E and N were major Mesolithic routes and there are other sites close by.....a cairn at Cown Edge and the cup-marked stone at Chisworth.

I'll have a fester next time I'm up that way.

nice one
stu.

Reply | with quote
stubob
Posted by stubob
9th December 2007ce
01:46

Messages in this topic: