The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Crichton Souterrain Forum Start a topic | Search
Crichton Souterrain
Re: Souterrains and dates
14 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:

Little doubt that the majority are IA but they certainly went in for re-use of marked rocks , more usually N-EBA rather than Roman though .

Obviously there's a dought of re-used Roman stones in Irish souterrains, but it's common to find either ogham stones or RA re-used in them.

A lot of the Irish ones are supposed to date from the early Christian period, built in response to Norse raids. I'm not so sure myself. The largest concentration seems to be around the Armagh/Lough/Down border region and down into mid-Louth. These areas are away from major waterways that you'd expect the Norse chappies to travel along. Obviously, they could have come storming across the land, but it's more likely that they were built by one kingdom in particular in response to attacks from others (I think). The more limited use in other areas that were definitely attacked regularly by the Norsemmen.

All the above could be bollocks of course. There's a great book on Irish souterrains that I think is now out of print. Always regret not buying it when it was first published.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
8th October 2007ce
17:04

In reply to:

Re: Souterrains and dates (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: