The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Rock Art of South Leinster - RSAI talk
32 messages
Select a forum:
Rockrich wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for searching for new rock-art in an area that already is know to have rock-art?

Is there a list of things to do like time of day etc?

You’re best friend when searching for rock art is usually the topography & carving tradition. Look at the known carvings in the area & their positions in the landscape, are there any similarities i.e. positioned nr streams / springs, in valleys, on terraces, sheltered areas at the foot of inclines, on knolls / raised areas, close to other archaeological features such as cairns etc. Do the motifs appear on specific surfaces of stones i.e. vertical, flat or sloping (in some areas they only appear on surfaces that slope towards the valley), are they carved on bedrock or free standing boulders (large or small).

Doing this you’ll notice certain patterns emerge & it’ll assist in locating others.

This has only ever worked for me on a very local scale, but then I haven't done anywhere near as much as some you folks when it comes to rock art. The Louth panels I visited recently were on very similar outcrops and those at Derrynablaha tend to be on east-facing sloping surfaces.

I'm off on a Donegal bullaun and RA hunt this weekend. Hurrah! I love bank holiday weekends!

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
25th October 2007ce
16:11

Messages in this topic: