The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cockles Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Cockles Stone
Stone of Cockles
12 messages
Select a forum:
To try I clarifie some of the miss reporting about the Stone of Cockles, who moved it and the origin of the name here is the real story.
The Stone of Cockles was first listed and phorographed as an 'Ancient Monument' in 1912.
When I bought Cockles in 1993 the book with the photo of the stone was in the house, but the stone was nowhere to be seen. The following year while planting a rose bush I found the stone 15cm under the soil. I uncovered it, photographed it and covered it back up again.
Subsiquently a local farmer dug it up and dumped it in a field 400mts away so he could widen the farm road. Factor Francis Ogilvy knew nothing about this till Historic Scotland wanted to know where the stone had gone. The Stone was subsiqently put back in its original position.
Cockles Smiddy appears on the English Military map of 1540 with the instructions not to be burnt down not the occupants to be put to the sword so it was obviously a well established busines even then.
The Origin of the name almost certainly comes from 'The Knights Cockles of the Golden Fleece' who owned the lands, having originally been owned by the Knights Templar, but after their massacre in 1307 many Templers joined 'Coquille St. Jacques' [The Knights Cockle]. William St. Clair of Roslyn fame titles himself as Grand Master of 'The Knights Cockle of the Golden Fleece' and one of the signs is the 'Dharma' which shows the spiral.

Reply | with quote
Posted by MikeBR
30th September 2012ce
10:17

1 reply:

Re: Stone of Cockles (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: