The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Baurnadomeeny Forum Start a topic | Search
Baurnadomeeny
Re: Which way does the sun travel
20 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
"Im not sure it this the second chamber was open to the east originally but it looks like a pretty good fit for the equinox sunrise. It may be just a coincidence but if say the east end of the chamber was open but the rest closed off it would surely light the small chamber completely on the Equinox?
"

It would depend on the horizon to east if the sun shone into the chamber sufficiently to lighten it , i.e. the sun rises due east at equinox but if there are hills in the way by the time it gets above them it has traveled further west and therefore not shining straight into the chamber but from an angle .

The pic below is pretty much due east so I think it would be as I said above. I was theorising that perhaps the chamber was complete (and enclosed) with only a gap to the east.
If you get me! Im no expert on this kind of thing. Im just putting out what I saw and hope that someone here may be able to make sense of it.

http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]2994/images/baurnadomeeny.html

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
27th September 2007ce
15:01

Messages in this topic: