The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Thornborough Central Cursus Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Thornborough Central Cursus
Re: Restoring the Thornborough Cursus
8 messages
Select a forum:
Well,

The section of the cursus that was quarried is now a very low grade area of land - quarry ditches and landfill.

If (yes I know there are technicalities) we could buy the land, flatten the landfill and us the excess to fill the quarried areas, we would then be able to restore the cursus back to its original levels. This would leave a long stretch of flat land running from the central henge down pretty much to the River Ure. I think thisd should be seeded to reflect ancient meadow.

We could then put in place a footpath down to the river, which would link the central henge to West Tanfield, crating a nice walk for folks and at the same time we could put in information boards and also some way of marking the line of the cursus, maybe an attempted restoration or maybe something different (since it was quarried without record, restoration is going to be problematic).

After that, I think the land should be returned to common land ownership, with rights of access for all and potentially with rights of pasture for local people.

In this way, we would get our cursus back, more people would be attracted to the area to enjoy the ancient site and local people would also benefit.

That's the general idea but I've not actually got any fixed views on what should happen, only that we should not allow this significant part of the Thorborough Complex to be left as an innaccessible landfill mound.

Given the low grade of the land involved, I don't think this project needs to cost too much and since part of the offer is to give the locals right of pasture, there's no need for anyone to lose out, though I'm sure I'll get complaints, because I'm suggesting a change.

However, the major land owner at Thornborough wished me the best success this morning so that's encouraging.

I think the main thing from my point of view is to shift away from the quarry campaign, since for the time being that threat is minimised, and to move onto a positive campaign extolling the benefits of using the area as a place of recreation that all can enjoy.

I see this as the first phase in an wider Thornborough restoration campaign. Not that I'm suggesting we touch any areas of archaeological value, but that we look at the areas that have been lost and see what can be done to return them to the Thornborough ancient site. Clearly we are not going to be able to restore everything to the way it was, and it has to be said that the nature reserve is an existing benefit to the area, one that actually does summon up images of the post glacial period at Thornborough so perhaps the restoration that needs done here is more along the lines of strengthening the links - footpaths, information and perhaps some Neolithic structures?

So in general what I am saying is, the past happened, what we need to do is see what we have now and decide the best way of seeing Thornborough has the brightest future possible and I see ecological and archaeological "tourism" is probably the best way forward in this.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
19th September 2007ce
10:58

Messages in this topic: