The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Menear Longstone Forum Start a topic | Search
Menear Longstone
Re: Possible misidentification??
9 messages
Select a forum:
ocifant wrote:

Is 'your' Menear on the farm to the north of the main town, south of Trethurgy? Can the bay be seen from the stone? If (as I suspect) the answer to both is yes, then the grid ref in RotS (and shown here on TMA) is incorrect. The Lat/Lon figures you give seem to place it somewhere slightly east of the Isle of Man on my map :-) You couldn't revisit with a GPS by any chance?

We need to sort this out! :-)

Right...sorry to be a while...

Yes, you've got the right spot... south of Trethurgy. Apologies if my grid ref's out. Google Earth (free version) shows a long shadow in that field, the telegraph pole in my photos, with grey blob alongside, but there's not enough definition for me to make the Menear out distinctly. This makes it at grid ref': 50 21' 26.7" N, 04 45' 51.22"W

You're definitely correct about erroneous grid ref's in 'RoTs'...I've come across a number of similar errors in said volume, finding one of the axis usually correct and the other from another site somewhere in the same couple of pages. Has made it more interesting & rewarding finding certain places. Only twigged to this stone, which is very local to me, by having a scan thru' RoTs again, researching another project. Passing the farm in the past I'd speculated around the name, never found anything on the maps and so not ground to scouting it out properly. Duh!

And the view as you look across the valley has St Austell Bay to your right looking over towards Penpillick, with the Eden site at Bodelva below you .

Sorry to set the feline in the aviary!! :) Will try for better images when dry next week .

Reply | with quote
bigfoot_66
Posted by bigfoot_66
2nd September 2007ce
20:18

In reply to:

Re: Possible misidentification?? (ocifant)

Messages in this topic: