The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Menear Longstone Forum Start a topic | Search
Menear Longstone
Re: Possible misidentification??
9 messages
Select a forum:
OK, I'm slightly confused now.

Looking further in Romance of the Stones (RotS), Gwallon Menhir is shown at SX 0295 5212 (which is the one on the OS map).

Menear Longstone is shown as at SX 0345 5212, which is a short distance immediately east of the Gwallon Menhir. It is described as being "on high ground, overlooking St Austell Bay", although it also mentions it as being on the farm and near the road with the same name. Looking on the OS map, Menear Farm is at SX 0353 5440. There is an obvious disparity here with the location and grid ref.

Is 'your' Menear on the farm to the north of the main town, south of Trethurgy? Can the bay be seen from the stone? If (as I suspect) the answer to both is yes, then the grid ref in RotS (and shown here on TMA) is incorrect. The Lat/Lon figures you give seem to place it somewhere slightly east of the Isle of Man on my map :-) You couldn't revisit with a GPS by any chance?

We need to sort this out! :-)

Reply | with quote
ocifant
Posted by ocifant
2nd September 2007ce
17:56

In reply to:

Possible misidentification?? (bigfoot_66)

Messages in this topic: