The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: The Black Sow Of Rimside Moor (OT)
31 messages
Select a forum:
Hob wrote:
I think if anyone has looked at the alignments of the little rows at Lordenshaw, it's likely to be the chaps who studied the holed stone. I think one of them is still working in Newcastle.

Here's a thing: Apparently 'Sow' was the term used to describe the wood and hide constructions used in the attack of fortified buildings during the middle ages. The kind of thing that would be built to stop the defenders pouring boiling pitch etc. Maybe this Black sow isn't a pig. Maybe it's something that was used to attack a peel tower somewhere in the area, or even, at a right stretch of the imagination, Edlingham castle.

I've been in to the National Parks centre in Rothbury.
The grid reference for the holed stone is: NZ 0463. 9867
Its on the north eastern side of the beacon.
The chaps who are investigating it are calling it. "The Beacon Solar Observatory" and work is on going.

Thats interesting, about the construction for protection when attacking pele towers etc. It is a possibility.
It would be help full to find the full version of the ballad.
Some one who I spoke to said that in the ballad a priest from Holy Island tried to convert the black sow to christianity. In which case it may have been a reference to pagan beliefs..as in the tailess black sow in Welsh mythology....the plot thickens!

Reply | with quote
Gavin Douglas
Posted by Gavin Douglas
26th July 2007ce
10:56

Messages in this topic: