Robert Carr wrote:
Rooting around the web I came across Planning Policy Guidance 16: Archaeology and planning, the document that should be informing the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, English Heritage and Herefordshire Council when coming to their challenging decision over the Rotherwas Ribbon.
It is certainly an interesting read when you apply it directly against the real-world case of the Ribbon.
In para 27:
As stated in paragraph 8, where nationally important archaeological remains, whether scheduled or not, and their settings, are affected by proposed development there should be a presumption in favour of their physical preservation in situ ie, a presumption against proposals which would involve significant alteration or cause damage, or which would have a significant impact on the setting of visible remains.
I do hope this clear-cut guidance for a presumption in favour is taken into account by the decision makers.
Interesting stuff, Robert Carr. Sadly, I think you'll find this is used to support the burying of the Ribbon beneath the road - using preventative measures such as sand packing etc. They'll say they were acting with due consideration, of course.
Robert Carr wrote:
Also para 31 (Discovery of Archaeological Remains during Development):
Developers may wish to consider insuring themselves against the risk of a substantial loss while safeguarding the interest of historic remains unexpectedly discovered on the site.
Well that's Herefordshire Council (and McAlpine) sorted financially regarding any changes of plan to the road. They are insured I hope?
Hmmmm.....don't hold your breath.
Reply | with quote
|Posted by Pilgrim|
19th July 2007ce
The Rotherwas serpent (nigelswift, Jul 05, 2007, 14:42)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (juamei, Jul 05, 2007, 15:14)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (Rhiannon, Jul 05, 2007, 15:43)
- Press Release from Rotherwas Campaign (nigelswift, Jul 06, 2007, 11:08)
- Cheapskates! (Robert Carr, Jul 06, 2007, 14:57)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (juamei, Jul 06, 2007, 15:50)
- EH Inspectors visit The Rotherwas serpent (Squid Tempest, Jul 10, 2007, 14:39)
- More pics..... (baza, Jul 11, 2007, 16:51)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (Deepinder Cheema, Jul 12, 2007, 01:42)
- Hotting up! (Robert Carr, Jul 12, 2007, 17:55)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (VenerableBottyBurp, Jul 13, 2007, 09:14)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (archenfield, Jul 13, 2007, 10:27)
- Visiting the Serpent (sannan, Jul 13, 2007, 10:30)
- Council officer digs council deeper into hole (nigelswift, Jul 14, 2007, 20:10)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (tiompan, Jul 14, 2007, 20:17)
- Bridges - not many people know that (Robert Carr, Jul 15, 2007, 10:16)
- Dr Keith Ray now on YouTube (Robert Carr, Jul 15, 2007, 18:02)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (moss, Jul 18, 2007, 13:33)
- Rotherwas and Planning Policy Guidance 16 (Robert Carr, Jul 19, 2007, 07:19)
- Re: Rotherwas and Planning Policy Guidance 16 (Pilgrim, Jul 19, 2007, 09:32)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (tiompan, Jul 19, 2007, 18:29)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (moss, Jul 23, 2007, 15:21)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (Squid Tempest, Jul 24, 2007, 12:48)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (nigelswift, Jul 25, 2007, 15:09)
- Flood pics (Robert Carr, Jul 25, 2007, 16:17)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (moss, Jul 26, 2007, 12:49)
- Position of serpent (Moz, Jul 28, 2007, 11:46)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (moss, Jul 30, 2007, 03:47)
- Hereford Council's pants go up in flames (nigelswift, Aug 01, 2007, 12:47)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (tomwatts, Aug 01, 2007, 15:31)
- Let me help save ribbon says farmer (baza, Aug 02, 2007, 09:59)
- Two-week project to safeguard Rotherwas Ribbon (Pilgrim, Aug 08, 2007, 02:33)
- Greens defend Rotherwas Ribbon (baza, Aug 10, 2007, 15:37)
- EH to let the road go ahead (nigelswift, Aug 31, 2007, 07:23)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (moss, Sep 07, 2007, 16:06)
- Re: The Rotherwas serpent (Deepinder Cheema, May 04, 2008, 03:15)