The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Walderslade Woods Forum Start a topic | Search
Walderslade Woods
Re: It's g(RA)m up north
66 messages
Select a forum:
slumpystones wrote:
tiompan wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
I can't see how it would possibly have been done naturally.

Here's some e.g.'s of natural stuff .
http://rockartuk.fotopic.net/c748555.html

What determines natural as opposed to manmade?

Is it the actual carving itself, whether having sharp edges, worn edges etc, or is it the location on the stone?

Some of these seem too regular to be natural to me. Barharrow looks manmade, purely because of the stone that is not marked.

Saying all that, when I was a young'un, we used to go swimming at Redhill baths in Surrey, and while waiting, all our 2p entrance money was used to bore holes in the soft brickwork. There musta been thousands of them...

There are natural geological phenomena that have very regular unnatural
looking effects , crystals defy the "no straight lines in nature " mantra . Google Diagenesis and you'll get cup and rings but perfectly natural . The markings tend not to be too regular .Cups are usually inverted cones and there is a "jizz" (the birding term ) that is acquired after looking at thousands of them .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
5th July 2007ce
10:49

In reply to:

Re: It's g(RA)m up north (slumpystones)

1 reply:

Re: It's g(RA)m up north (slumpystones)

Messages in this topic: