The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Long Man of Wilmington Forum Start a topic | Search
The Long Man of Wilmington
Re: STATEMENT FROM THE SUSSEX ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIE
196 messages
Select a forum:
Cursuswalker wrote:
postman wrote:
Cursuswalker wrote:

But, then, I'm a recently de-converted atheist.

A what?
Why do people feel the need to be a "something"

Because that is how we understand eachother initially, it being a bit of an effort to hold several billion completely distinct identities in your mind at once. Especially as we are only an evolutionary blink away from the time when we would only ever have known a handful of people for all our lives.

Hence it is a useful shorthand to be able to lump people into such categories as Technician, Ethiopian, Teenager etc. etc.

We can then even start to elaborate this into combinations, such as Ethiopian Technician and so on.

Once you know someone well these categories probably become far less important than personal knowledge of the person.

Such categories, of course, also allow one to identify with other people with whom one shares attributes/skills/interests. Such as Modern Antiquarians. It's not everything we are, but it describes a part of the whole.

Why do you think we give ourselves labels Postman?

I don't give myself any labels, I am many things though, Father, Husband,
Son, maybe a modern antiqurian, and sometimes a postman but these are labels given to me. I just deliver the mail but really don't see myself as a postman. Giving oneself a label doesn't unite people as much as it separate them. Imagine if all people kept their religous feelings to them selves. Instead of saying I'm a catholic or Moslem or Pagan can't we just say I'm a middle aged man

Reply | with quote
postman
Posted by postman
18th July 2007ce
19:52

Messages in this topic: