The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Long Man of Wilmington Forum Start a topic | Search
The Long Man of Wilmington
Re: English Heritage Statement
196 messages
Select a forum:
Stix wrote:
ENGLISH HERITAGE STATEMENT

Following an inspection of The Long Man of Wilmington in East Sussex (WED,) English Heritage believes that archaeological remains did not suffer any significant damage during the filming activities that took place there recently. During our visit we did note damage to the turf in some areas, which appears to be very recent and might have been caused during filming, and that two to four of the modern concrete blocks that delineate the head are missing, although we cannot say whether they were lost during the filming or whether they had been previously lost. In both cases the damage is superficial and can be repaired.

Response to the EH statement:

1) There is no question of the missing concrete blocks having been removed during the filming, from what I saw and heard of the event.

2) The opinion of archaeologists seems to be that on a site like this most significant archaeology ends up at the bottom of the hill, where the 2003 dig took place. However damage having been caused cannot be ruled out, even if significant damage can be. How does one define "significant" by the way?

3) There is a very good chance that some or most of the damage to turf was caused during filming, again going by my own observations and those of others I have spoken to. It would be serious turf-damage indeed that could not be repaired!

I am just waiting for those involved to leap on this statement as proof that they are off the hook. It does not do that. Avoidable damage to the turf on the Long Man is unacceptable under any circumstances and this WAS avoidable. Of course we may never know if archaeology has been damaged, but again deliberately placing the site in a situation where it might be is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Since ITV undertook to pay for all repairs to the Long Man during filming, can we now assume that they will pay ALL the costs of repair, in material, fuel, wages etc., to the penny?

Reply | with quote
Cursuswalker
Posted by Cursuswalker
6th July 2007ce
14:02

Messages in this topic: