The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Long Man of Wilmington Forum Start a topic | Search
196 messages
Select a forum:
This is a result, I would like to thank this woman for her forthright honesty and rationalism.

Heritage orgs, especially national heritage orgs should note that they do make what EH call 'oversights'. If that is acknowledged we can all make sure whatever went awry doesn't get repeated. This is better for sites & all concerned, and far more important than saving political face which to be frank might be a tad embaressing but but mere splashing in the end that is shallow.

From personal experience this heritage 'oversight' fever has been due to exclusive reliance on historians and archaeologists who have a very concentrated focus of interest in relation to a subject. Where this is a site, that interest whilst microscopic dominates to the exclusion of all others. Heritage sites are so frequently single faceted the visiting public are brainwashed into thinking any further or different interest is obscure or quirky and anyone that follows these interests are eccentric and do not know what they are talking about.

Surprise surprise then, that folk beyond heritage orgs have their own life experiences and knowledge, they have different beliefs and interests, and a quite different focus. The wider public have started to recognise how heritage has been presented in narrow minded form, and find the more encompassing & varied the history the easier it is for them to pick it up from their individual experience and interest. All of a sudden it is the ivory towers of academy which are quirky, and heritage orgs lemmings taking interest in history to the brink...

Sorry, for going off on one, I think that must be my new breakfast food 'phsycology muesli' ...

Thanks again to that forthright woman,

VBB :o)

Reply | with quote
Posted by VenerableBottyBurp
6th July 2007ce
10:19

In reply to:

Apology (Cursuswalker)

Messages in this topic: