The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Long Man of Wilmington Forum Start a topic | Search
196 messages
Select a forum:
I am able to report that one of our protestors has received a personal apology from one of the women involved.

She said she did not realise how much the Long Man meant to many people and also confirmed that they were told it was just concrete blocks and nothing more. They were also told not to take the leaflets being given out by protestors.

On the downside, and it is only right to report this, she told me about the appalling, and quite unacceptable, verbal abuse they received from a group totally unassociated with us. I have no reason to disbelieve her. This group have not created any of the media attention this issue has needed and I do not wish to be associated with them.

This apology should be accepted in the spirit intended, in my view, as it is a sign that our message has got across. I hope more of the participants will follow suit.

The Sussex Archaeological Society are also realising that giving permission for this event was a bad idea and have asked to meet with a local druid who is also a Heritage Action site inspector and a member of LAW. Hopefully this meeting will be productive.

What remains is for ITV to be shamed into not daring to use the footage they obtained, which can only encourage further abuse of the Long Man of Wilmington.

The woman concerned expressed disappointment at the idea that the footage would go unused, until it was pointed out to her that what happened on the Long Man may result, in the long run, in closer cooperation between the owners of the site and those who care for the Long Man.

Reply | with quote
Cursuswalker
Posted by Cursuswalker
5th July 2007ce
23:49

2 replies:

Re: Apology (VenerableBottyBurp)
Re: English Heritage Statement (Stix)

Messages in this topic: