The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkadian Earthhouses
8 messages
Select a forum:
The standard opinion given out nowadays is that they were used for storing foodstuffs but there are in fact several theories competing equally in the archaeological community including, cough, ritual. Plus they shade off into wells and settlements at the edges. Also there appear to be two types according to when they were built.
The later kind found in regions such as Ireland and (IIRC) the Western Isles tend to date from Viking to mediaeval times. These seem to be more obviously defensive, many being built into places such as streambanks and cliff-faces (though you could argue that these places also tend to be nice and cool, by water and/or wind, and hence suited to becoming storehouses also).
As to the earlier kind they would appear like burnt mounds to have had several uses, not always exclusive, and have been built both from and into other structures [I wonder if some originally stood alone before later incorporation, and think this applies even more probably to 'wells'].
Though this is a weekend, and a Bank Holiday one at that, I expect others here will bring their minds to bear on this subject - that's my excuse anyway.

Reply | with quote
wideford
Posted by wideford
26th May 2007ce
12:49

In reply to:

Orkadian Earthhouses (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Orkadian Earthhouses (wideford)

Messages in this topic: