The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Long Meg & Her Daughters Forum Start a topic | Search
Long Meg & Her Daughters
Re: Long Meg geophysics survey discovers possible
20 messages
Select a forum:
I've heard it said that you need permission to do geophys but I'm not sure where the law says that.

Scheduled Monuments are regulated by The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979
http://www.culture.gov.uk/NR/r[...]onumentsAct1979forCase3276.pdf
and I'm not sure that says permission is needed.

It says you can't use a metal detector without permission, for sure, and it says you need permission to do a survey, but that seems to be specifically a survey in connection with valuing it for acquisition and finding out the nature of the subsoil and the presence of minerals. I can't see anything saying you can't use a non-intrusive instrument (apart from a metal detector) to find out what archaeology is there purely to satisfy your curiosity.

I presume its different if the monument is on land controlled by a body like the National Trust that has powers to specify exactly what activities are permissible on their land through making byelaws. If they want to say geophys isn't allowed they're entitled I guess. Though barmy, as they would be hard pushed to say why.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
6th April 2007ce
09:08

Messages in this topic: