The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Pathetic Avebury protest
77 messages
Select a forum:
I can't find the ref to 100 ish bodies but this is on my CD
PeteG

Dr R. Toope to Mr Aubery, from Bristoll, 1 Dec., 1685.

In Wilts, between Kinnett and Overton, on the lands of one Captayne Walter Grubb, I approach'd workmen digging not far off the roade; I enquir'd their digging, who answer'd 'making new boundaries to enclose for French grasse or 5 foile.' Said the men, 'we throw up many bones here, but know not of what creatures.' I quickly percviv'd they were humane, and came the next day and dugg for them, and stored myselfe with many bushells, of which I made a noble medicine that relieved many of my distressed neighbours: the bones large, and almost rotten, but the teeth extreme and wonderfully white, hard and sound. (No tobacco taken in those daies.) About eighty yards from it is a large spherical foundation, whose diameter is forty yards, by which you know the circuit. Within this large temple there is another orbe, whose sphere is 15 yards in diameter; round about this temple a most exact plaine and superficies; under this superficies leyd the bones soe close one by another, that scul toucheth scul. I exposed 2 or 3, and never took up a bone of them to observe and see in what manner they lay. I percieved their feet lay towards the temple, and but little more than a foot under the superficies. At the feet of the first order, I saw lay the heads of the next, as above, their feet intending the temple; I really believe the whole plaine, on that even ground, is full of dead bodies.

Note by Mr. Aubery relating to the above letter. "This was discovered in 1678, and Dr. Toope was lately at the Golgotha again to supply a defect of medicine he had from hence."

This topic is locked
Pete G
Posted by Pete G
9th March 2007ce
13:51

Messages in this topic: