The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stone of Odin Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Stone of Odin
Re: Stone Of Odin
24 messages
Select a forum:
correct me if i'm wrong(and ignore the following blab if so) but has most of the DNA work on vikings not been done using the Y chromosome and thus following the male line. This technique assumes that only the viking men passed on their genes to locals and of course doesn't include any females born of a viking father.
If we look at a more settled society assuming viking woman came along too (as i think some did). Then if Mr and Mrs Viking had a daughter who then married a local the original viking mothers mitochondrial DNA would be passed on ( the fathers mitochondria, although in every cell,are only used for motility of the sperm and are never carried on) and thus vikingness would be seen in the female line assuming there are specific differences between viking mitochondrial DNA and native DNA.
I think the two techniques together would give a clearer picture of settlement overall. It is quite likely that when settled in the mainland men went off to fight and were killed leaving women behind that would have carried on the genes.
Both men and women could be tested in this manner as the mother passes the mitochondria to both sexes although as stated the men don't pass it on.
Anyway it is a more complex technique than Y-chromosome testing i think but may shed some more light on the situation.
maybe it has been done!
love
carolinex

Reply | with quote
Posted by caergog
18th February 2002ce
21:12

In reply to:

Re: Stone Of Odin (Annexus Quam)

3 replies:

Re: Stone Of Odin (FourWinds)
Here's the genetics background... (Annexus Quam)
Re: Stone Of Odin (Annexus Quam)

Messages in this topic: